Importance of brain health
The brain is a complex organ and has at least three levels of functions that affect all aspects of our daily lives: interpretation of senses and control of movement; maintenance of cognitive, mental, and emotional processes; and maintenance of normal behaviour and social cognition. Brain health may therefore be defined as the preservation of optimal brain integrity and mental and cognitive function at a given age in the absence of overt brain diseases that affect normal brain function. Maintaining a healthy brain during one’s life is the uppermost goal in pursuing health and longevity. As the population ages, the burden of neurological disorders and challenges for the preservation of brain health increase1.
Facts about brain health
• Neurological disorders were the leading cause of disability adjusted life years (276 million) and the second leading cause of death (9 million) globally in 20162
• Stroke, migraine, Alzheimer and other dementias, and meningitis are the largest contributors to neurological DALYs3
• From the age of 25 years onwards, about one in four adults will have a stroke in their lifetime4
• Someone in the world develops dementia every 3 seconds. Worldwide, around 55 million people have dementia5
• This number will almost double every 20 years, reaching 82 million in 2030 and 152 million in 2050, a 204% increase. (Alzheimer's Disease International)5
Salvia Officinalis & The Brain
Six studies examined the effects of Salvia Officinalis supplementation on healthy individuals and each study found that Salvia Officinalis supplementation led to an increase in memory, mood, or both. Two studies examined the effects Salvia Officinalis supplementation on individuals with potential cognitive problems. One study found that Salvia Officinalis supplementation led to a reduction in cognitive problems and an improvement in attention and the other study found that Salvia Officinalis supplementation led to “significantly better cognitive function” 6.
How SibeliusTM:Sage can support brain health
Sibelius™: Sage makes the difference in the cognitive health ingredients market, offering proven biological activity through its well-controlled sourcing, cultivation, harvesting and standardized manufacturing procedures. It is a branded, patented, scientifically evidenced and clinically proven dried sage extract, specially developed to enhance memory and alertness and maintain brain health.
At Sibelius, we work closely with our customers to create market-leading products using the best ingredients from the best source. Our research and quality testing provide our customers with the confidence to make market-changing products.
Are you looking for a natural way to promote attention, alertness and support brain health? Then all you need is Sibelius™:Sage!
Download our whitepaper to learn more about our Sibelius™: Sage:
- BMG (2020) ‘What is brain health and why is it important?’
- The Lancet Neurology (2020) ‘The global burden of neurological disorders: translating evidence into policy’, vol 19 (3), pp. 255-265
- Robert, L. (2019) ‘The Mounting Burden of Neurological Disease’, NeurologyLive
- Britton, B. (2018) ‘1 in 4 globally will have a stroke at age 25 or older, according to new study’, CNN
- Alzheimer’s Disease International ‘Dementia statistics’
- The Alzheimer’s Organisation ‘Salvia Officinalis and Alzheimer's Disease’